January 23, 2017
- Long overdue update: Added an entry for the S Men appearance at the Voix de Ville
Extravagonzo to the 2012 …and beyond page.
I don't think it was a concert, per se. But S Men provided the musical backing for the shows.
October 21, 2016
- Two overdue updates
(Hey, I was out of town - don't want to hear about it!)
- Vinyl's now available!
- While I was out of town, S Men played the Up+DT Festival in Edmonton. There's a link to some video on the 2012 …and beyond page.
September 16, 2016
- CDs and downloads are available now! Vinyl's been delayed until October 14.
September 4, 2016
July 30, 2016
- Added a link to Yep Roc's
article on the reissues.
July 24, 2016
- The wait is over (well, it will be over on September 16). That's when Yep Roc will release the three original Shadowy Men albums on
LP, CD and digital. The extra album from the box set? Those songs will be divvied up amonght the three albums. (I'm not seeing "Popcorn" in the Amazon
track listings, but I'm suspecting an error in the list. My understanding was the every track would be there.)
- Want to pre-order? The S Men have set up a helpful Pre-order Page. Be careful:
The Amazon.com link seems to point to the OLD versions of the CDs. I have track listings and links to the new reissues on the Albums Page.
June 27, 2016
June 15, 2016
- Wanna see the Pioneertown show? (hint: you do.) You can, thanks to Phil Tiki. It was shot up close and in 4K. Looks amazing, sounds amazing.
June 14, 2016
- Even more pictures! This time out, they're from Los Angeles (and there's someone you'll recognize in the crowd). Along with that, Shawn sent on
some better quality copies of his pictures from Winnipeg back in 1992. Thanks Shawn Nagy!
June 13, 2016
June 11, 2016
April 25, 2016
April 22, 2016
- Marc passed on scans of the set lists from the first Lee's Palace show. Check 'em out: Page 1 and Page 2. Thanks Marc!
April 21, 2016
April 18, 2016
- "The Switch To Responsive" begins. Huh? "Responsive" web design is a way
to make web site content adapt to the device you're using to view it. Currently, this site looks pretty good
on a desktop, not too bad on a tablet, but the text is way, way too small on smartphones. Over the next
few weeks (maybe less, maybe more), I'll be converting the site to be responsive. On a desktop (or laptop)
you shouldn't see much difference at all. On tablets, you'll see new drop down menus replacing the right
side menus on some pages. On phones, you'll see the "hamburger icon" (three horizontal lines). Tapping
that will open a navigation menu. All the same content will still be here. Hopefully, it'll just be
a little easier to use on phones and tablets. I'm new to this stuff, so if you're seeing problems, definitely let
April 17, 2016
April 16, 2016
- Added a link to a great article about the box set from Now.
April 15, 2016
April 6, 2016
April 4, 2016
- Added a link to the new box set teaser video. It's a classic.
- Added a note about the Guelph show on the 14th.
March 22, 2016
- Added the details for Derek von Essen's No Flash, Please! to the new Books page (now a separate page
from the longer Written Word page. Yes, I know books have written words, wise guy. Just seemed like articles and books should be separate now that I
have four entries for the Books page.
- Finally added an entry fron Don Pyle's Trouble In The Camera Club as well. LONG overdue.
March 9, 2016
March 6, 2016
February 20, 2016
- Added content to the site for two new excellent Don Pyle projects. One is his new band, Long Branch. Their first single came out on February 14.
The other is Don Pyle's soundtrack for Portrait Of A Serial Monogamist page. There's are links to Bandcamp so you can check out
and/or buy both.
- Did a little cleanup on the Shadowy Men Videos Page to include some inline video and the general Videos On The Web
section to add the latest.
February 5, 2016
- Added another update to the Covers page. This one is the release of
Korean Jeans' tribute to Savvy Show Stoppers. Korean Jeans ia a duo of tuba and drums, and they
cover the album start to finish. There's a link to the Bandcamp page so you
can check it out.
February 2, 2016
- Added an update to the Covers page about a tribute album released in 2015 that includes a mash-up
of "Having An Average Weekend" and Psyche's "Uncivilized". It's very strange to hear vocals over the top of that song. There's a link to the Bandcamp page so you
can check it out.
January 24, 2016
- Added an update to the News page about the upcoming reissues on Yep Roc and the Lee's Palace dates.
March 19, 2015
March 18, 2015
- Added an update to the News page about the upcoming reissues on Yep Roc. But you read that update already, right?
- Added a few bits of trivia to the entry for Live Record With Extra Bread And Cheese. Thanks to Buddy for the questions and Don Pyle for the answers.
January 29, 2015
- Added a new entry to the FAQ about the similarity between The Connection's "I Want You" and "Having An Average Weekend". Thanks for the heads-up, Ted!
- Added links to YouTube clips for all of the "does this song remind you of that song?" questions in the FAQ so you can hear for yourself.
December 18, 2014
November 21, 2014
- Updated my email address to move it over to Gmail. And if you send to the old one? Not a problem. It'll just be forwarded over to the new one.
July 7, 2014
June 2, 2014
May 22, 2014
April 13, 2014
- Added a note on the landing page about the upcoming appearance at the SHAME edition of Vazaleen at Wrongbar, June 29, 2014. Details yet to be announced.
March 6, 2014
March 4, 2014
Feburary 13, 2014
- It only took me seven months, but the rework of the site is finally done (although I'm touching up the occasional smaller detail).
As before, if you see something broken (or it looks weird on your
browser/tablet/phone), drop me a note if you
would so I can fix it. Thanks!!
- Added link on the various album and single pages to reviews of the albums and singles in question. Seemed like it might be nice.
January 30, 2014
- Don Pyle posted a link to a clip of Phono-Comb playing "53rd & 3rd" on his Facebook page. Looked at Don'ss Vimeo page, and he's
got quite a few really cool clips. I've added links to the Videos On The Web page, or just go straight
to Don Pyle's Vimeo Page.
November 21, 2013
- As part of my general website cleanup, I've revamped the Unreleased Material page with a lot more info.
- Forest sent along a scan of a club calendar with Phono-Comb listed. I've added it to the Etc. page. Thanks Forest!
October 1, 2013
September 24, 2013
September 21, 2013
September 17, 2013
September 14, 2013
- Still mainly cleaning up the site, but added a new article by Patrick Michalishyn to The Written Word from
Crossfader. It's a nice reivew of the
Double Happiness soundtrack, and I really appreciated the nice comments about this site. Thanks Patrick!
September 7, 2013
- Video from the first Dakota show is on YouTube. Links on the 2012 … and beyond page. Additionally,
there's one more link from Hillside. This time it's "The Ballad Of Dwight Fry" from the Sadies/S Men show. And Don's on lead vocals.
August 25, 2013
- Shadowy Men have added a show at The Garrison on Saturday, September 21.
They'll reprise their performance of Love It To Death with The Sadies.
August 13, 2013
- Added a new contribuion to the Stories page, and it's a really nice one. Thanks Liz!
August 12, 2013
August 3, 2013
July 30, 2013
- After playing their own set at the Hillside Festival, Shadowy Men teamed up with The Sadies to play Alice Cooper's album
Love It To Death in it's entirety. Someone recorded it, and the video's on
YouTube, and there's a link on the 2012 page.
- Continuing to update the site's code, but this will be my last update about that. Hopefully, you'll notice a difference as I get
the updated pages out there.
July 22, 2013
- Added the poster for the Hillside Festival show to the Posters page, which has had HTML updates
as well, although it looks basically the same.
July 20, 2013
- More rework. Merged the band "members" pages in with the "main"
pages and did more HTML standards updates.
July 14, 2013
- Finished up a rework of the main page of the site. Been wanting
to clean it up for a while, and now it's using a tad more current
HTML code. If you see something broken (or it looks weird on your
browser/tablet/phone), drop me a note if you
would so I can fix it. Thanks!!
- Updated info on Feel Free
to get the correct songwriting credits.
July 5, 2013
- Finished off some cleanup of the site (e.g., fixing broken links,
updating images). If you see something broken, drop me a note if you
July 4, 2013
- Added a new section for another of Don's projects (this time with
Dallas Good), The Filthy Gaze Of Europe.
And thanks Marc for getting me some helpful info!
July 3, 2013
- Added a new Black Heel Marks album
page since the band's debut album is out now!
- Added a bunch of entries to the Videos
on the Web page. Ted wrote with a great suggestion. I've pulled
in links to a ton of covers of Shadowy Men songs. There are two
killer versions of "Aunt's Invasion" by the legendary Man Or
Astro-Man? that are a must-see. The rest are kind of a mixed bag, but
it's still cool to hear people play the songs. And yes, the
vast majority are covers of "Having An Average Weekend".
June 22, 2013
- Updated the 2012 page to include 2013
shows and reissue news as well.
- Created a Shadowy Men Reunion YouTube playlist. It's got all
the clips from the 2012 page in one list.
June 18, 2013
June 13, 2013
- Added a note to the FAQ about the
striking similarity between the riff in Rush's "Chain Lightning"
(from 1989's Presto) and "Our Weapons Are Useless" (from the
Shadowy Men's 1985 debut single).
June 4, 2013
- Added a banner for Shadowy Men's date at Pearson Airport.
May 12, 2013
- Added a banner and link for Shadowy Men's date at the Hillside
- Sal Cincotta kindly sent me a set of the liner notes for the two
"What Wave" tapes, Live In
London and What's All
The Fuzz About. Scans are by the cover art for each tape.
Click on 'em to see 'em bigger. Thanks Sal!
- Updated the info for The
Mysterious Moon-Men Of Canada. It was a 1988 short film that
used Shadowy Men songs in the soundtrack. Been looking for it off and
on for ages, and stumbled across it on Vimeo. You can
watch it there, or download as an really good quality MP4. Charming
little film. Worth watching.
- Added Corridor X by Kill, Baby… Kill! to the Covers Page. Kill, Baby… Kill! does
a terrific cover of "Aunt's Invasion". It's a new CD out on Deep Eddy
Records. Hey Ted, thanks for sending a copy my way!
February 2, 2013
- Added a link to the new Official Shadowy Men Facebook page. Go check it
- Other little cleanup, mainly an update to note that the 2012
reissue of Savvy Show Stoppers uses the original single mix of
"Customized" instead of the rerecorded version the original album and
September 21, 2012
- Got some stuff from the Waterloo show on the site. On the 2012 Page, you can see the show poster and
the set lists. Great stuff! Thanks Scott!
- There's also a link to a YouTube video of the first encore.
August 3, 2012
- The formatting's not that great yet, but I've pulled links to all
the 2012 stuff (articles, videos, etc.) into a new 2012 Page. I've added links to more YouTube
videos, and I'll add links to whatever new comes up from the upcoming
July 26, 2012
- More reading material.
- Now, July 12-19, 2012: Shadowy Men On A Shadowy
Planet - Never say never, learns the reunited Toronto band
July 21, 2012
- More updates. This time, some reading material from around the
July 20, 2012
- Here come the overdue updates. First, VIDEO: Go to https://youtu.be/nE9iFd5LHBM to watch the Lee's
Palace show from July 14. Totally amazing.
- Forest passed on the set list from the Lee's Palace show. Scans
are on the Etc. page. The lists
don't show the second encore which was "Run Chicken Run", "Jackpot"
and "Three Piece Suit". It's all in the video though.
- Lastly, the best news: MORE SHOWS. Two benefit shows are
scheduled for The Cameron on August 2 (8:00 and 11:00), and Shadowy
Men will be playing in Waterloo, ON at the Starlight Lounge on Sept.
July 6, 2012
July 3, 2012
- More video? Yes, more video.
- Long overdue addition to the covers page - Rev Hank's Ukulele Surf King. It's got
an all-ukulele cover of "Having An Average Weekend". For real. And
you can buy this one from Deep Eddy using the Shadowy Web's Shopping page.
June 27, 2012
- Still more new video. This time, it's three songs ("Run Chicken
Run", "Egypt Texas", and "Customized") from a "secret show" at Broken
City. - https://youtu.be/LZIcyf81io8
June 25, 2012
- Even more new video. This time, it's live footage from Sled
June 22, 2012
- More new video. This time, it an interview with
Vish Khanna recorded after the show at St. Alban's Boys And Girls
Club. Definitely check it out.
June 18, 2012
- Bad News: The video for "Chihuhuas" has been taken down.
- Good News: There's now an official video (from Exclaim! TV) for
Go check it out!
June 10, 2012
- Great stuff sent my way over the last couple of days that needs
to be shared. First up was three terrific new articles (actually one
was from 2010). Thanks Marc! The Maclean's interview with Don is
terrific. A must-read.
- Second was a link to YouTube to catch the first live footage of
Shadowy Men in 2012! (sadly, this has since been taken down). The
S Men did two four songs sets and were filmed for later broadcast on
the web on Exclaim! TV.
June 8, 2012
- The new Mammoth Cave issue of Savvy Show Stoppers is
available for pre-order, and is limited to 1000 copies. Go to Mammoth
Cave to pre-order! Go get it! Mammoth Cave is no more. It has ceased to be.
- Also updated the Albums page
with details on the reissue.
March 29, 2012
- Found another article about the reuinion. This one's from the Calgary Herald.
March 23, 2012
- Shadowy Men have launched an official YouTube channel. The official videos for
"Memories Of Gay Paree", "Musical Interlude" (a classic), and
"Shadowy Countdown" are up along with some LIVE FOOTAGE and some
interviews. Wonderful, wonderful stuff.
- The Crash Kills Five single "What Do You Do At Night?" has been
reissued on Ugly Pop Records, with "Faithful reconstruction of
original artwork plus detailed new insert with tons of info for punk
history geeks like us. " You can order the reissue at Ugly Pop's web
site. It's limited, so don't wait!
- David Faris passed on an article
about Ancient Chinese Secret and poster for
Surf 'N' Turf 4 which featured ACS. Thanks David!
March 21, 2012
- BIG NEWS! The three Shadowy Men albums will be reissued
starting with Savvy Show
Stoppers in June of 2012 and the other two following as
they're ready, in roughly six-month intervals. To celebrate the
release, Shadowy Men will make their first live appearances in almost
20 years. Don Pyle and Brian Connelly will joined by Dallas Good of
The Sadies (and also formerly Don and Reid's bandmate in Phono-Comb). The albums will be released on
vinyl and as a download from the Mammoth Cave
Recording Co. No news on their site yet, but I'd imagine it'll be
coming. More details at Exclaim.ca.
September 12, 2011
- Added a scan of the Glass Records release of Savvy Show
Stoppers to the Savvy Show
Stoppers Variations Page. It's a little small, but it shows little
differences from the Cargo LP, which is also slightly different from
the Cargo CD.
June 15, 2011
- Toronto.com's Blog "Sound Check" is running a 32-band "March
Madness" style contest to decide "The Best Toronto Band. Ever."
- UPDATE: Shadowy Men lost out to The Diodes.
June 14, 2011
- NEW SONG! Added the details about the Bloodstains Across
Ontario compilation single featuring the new Shadowy Men
song, "Foreign/aft". Go to Mammoth Cave to order the seven-inch or to
download immediately. Mammoth Cave is pushing up the daisies and joined the choir invisible.
June 3, 2011
- Ryan at Bone Cutter Records sent along a link to the 2010 demo
tape by Nervous Steps, which includes a cover of "Good Cop, Bad Cop".
You can read about the tape on the Tributes and Covers Page. Thanks Ryan!
April 29, 2011
- Don Pyle sent along news of a new Shadowy Men song being released
in June. Details on the home page.
- Did some cleanup on the main page to make it look a little
September 24, 2010
- Scott sent along a scan of a 2009 Ancient Chinese Secret set
list, and it's now on the Etc.
page. Thanks Scott!
- Ted James sent along some links to more of erin leah pryde's
Ancient Chinese Secret videos, and they're on the Videos page. Thanks Ted and erin!
September 9, 2010
- Ben McCombs sent along a note pointing out the origins of a few
Atomic 7 songs in The Kids In The Hall. Updated the Atomic 7 Albums page with the details.
February 5, 2010
- Just some site cleanup. If you see broken links (or other
weirdness), let me know.
February 4, 2010
- Ted James sent on a new review of the 2000 tribute CD, Better Than
The Average Weekend. Thanks Ted!
January 31, 2010
June 12, 2009
- William Mount passed on some
pictures from a very recent Ancient Chinese Secret show in
Toronto. Thanks William!
April 8, 2009
- Alex Koch passed on a bunch of new Crash Kills Five pictures.
Some were pictures Don Pyle came across, and some were from another
friend of Alex's. They're at the end of the Don Pyle Collection page and the
Alex Koch Collection page. Thanks
to Alex and Don for passing these along!
March 9, 2009
November 6, 2008
- Shawn Nagy sent on some close up pictures of the "Tools Of Our
Trade" T-shirt. New pictures are on the Etc. page. Thanks Shawn!
November 2, 2008
Yes, I'm still here. I'm just dodging "robocalls" right now (Ohio is a "swing state" after all).
- Ashley Thomas sent on another batch of cool stuff for the site.
It's just taken me ages to get it loaded. Specifics:
- As a result of reading the review that Ashley included, I
realized I'd had an incorrect listing on the singles page. For some
reason, it never struck me that both songs on Explosion Of Taste were on
the same side. Side two is a demonstration of making your popcorn. I
also got reminded recently that there's a small backwards track at
the end of Wow Flutter Hiss
'86. I've updated the Singles
Page with updated info on both.
July 29, 2008
- Got a new poster, this time it's for a show poster, this time for an upcoming show! Ancient
Chinese Secret will be on the bill for The Rizdales' 1st Annual Roots
Roundup on August 10 at the The Cadillac Lounge in Toronto. It's a fundraiser
for the Canadian Cancer Society. Thanks David (for the poster and the
June 17, 2008
- Check this out … got some more Shadowy stuff from a different
Dundrell, Ashley Thomas. Ashley passed on a cool
poster for the Schlagers! release party. It's also on the
Posters Page. Also, Ashley passed on an
older Shadowy Men catalog. This
one only had the first three singles and a t-shirt for sale. Cool
stuff! Thanks Ashley!
- Also corrected the listings for "Malfunction". The songwriter
credit was listed as "Dundrell". That's not a coincidence.
"Malfunction" is a cover of a Dundrells song called "Melinda".
May 28, 2008
- The new Atomic 7 site, Atomic 7
Brand Ladies Shoes, is now live. Couple of hints for you … See
the star lighting up by the "7"? You might want to click it. And you
may want to check out "The Lavinia" as well.
April 28, 2008
- OK, here's a big update. Peter Hudson sent along photos of a
bunch of Shadowy Men posters he saved from Vortex Records in Toronto.
They're terrific, some of the best in the collection. They're now
part of the Posters Page as well as a
separate Photo Collection page
with a little more info about Peter. I also updated some credits here
and there because Peter recorded some Shadowy Men songs like "Reid
Does Neil" and "Faster, Santa Claus, Ho Ho Ho". Thanks Peter!
- A cassette called Smash '83 came out with a Crash Kills
Five song that was NOT taken from their single called "Oddy Knocky".
I checked with CK5 drummer Alex Koch, and it was a legit release, so
it's got an entry now on the Crash
Kills Five compilations page. Thanks for the info, Alex!
- Got a note from David Millians about the King Cobb Steelie CD Junior Relaxer (Don Pyle was a
member of KCS for this album). There's some studio dialog buried
before the first song. Thanks David!
April 25, 2008
- Not a big update, mainly just some housekeeping (cleaning up some
- Small update that will be a bigger one soon: Got an email from
Peter Hudson of The Dundrells. He recorded the Jad Fair &
Phono-Comb debut single (which I knew about) as well as Reid Does Neil, "Faster, Santa Claus, Ho Ho
Ho", and the Shadowy Men songs used in Comic Book Confidential.
Thanks for the info Peter!
- One other update … in the entry for the Brain Candy soundtrack,
I'd noted that the theme song wasn't a Shadowy Men song, and that Don
Pyle was guessing it was Craig Northey who recorded it. Well, Sean
just dropped me a note to confirm that - the theme is indeed a
Northey song called "The Pill Battle". Thanks Sean!
March 9, 2008
- Alex Koch (formerly of Crash Kills Five, and currently with Tony
Balony & The Rubes) sent on a great picture of him and Brian
Connelly, and alerted me to some new Crash Kills Five pictures that
Don Pyle came across. Updates are on Alex's page and Don's page. Thanks Alex and
February 13, 2008
February 12, 2008
January 31, 2008
- What? Two updates in three days? Yep. This one's a bit smaller.
Added a new FAQ entry about S Men music
being used by TV Ontario and cleaned up the Pictures Page to add info on Don Pyle's
"Trouble In The Camera Club" and add in a little pulldown menu. Hey,
they can't all be giant updates.
January 28, 2008
- After a five month lag with no updates, you'd probably expect any
update to be pretty big. You'd be right.
- Added some pictures to the erin leah pryde's Atomic 7 and Ancient Chinese Secret picture
pages. They're pictures of some flyer handed out at an Ancient
Chinese Secret show and a great Atomic 7 poster. Thanks erin!
- And it just gets better. erin shot some video at an Ancient
Chinese Secret show of three covers. Links are on the erin's Ancient Chinese Secret
picture page as well. Extremely cool. Thanks erin!
- Added a new FAQ entry about "Running
- Added a cool new Crash Kills Five poster
that I found on eBay to the Posters
- Added a links to a couple of blogs where you can download MP3s of
"Autobahn" and "16 Encores" to the Unreleased Music page. Thanks to Alex
Hoffman and Buddy Mercury for the heads up!
- Added a new Videos page with links
to videos on YouTube and other web sites. Thanks to Forest and erin
for the links!
- Updated the Buyer's
Guide to put in a review of the new Atomic 7 album, even though
it seems to only be available at shows.
August 22, 2007
- Minor techie update. I removed the downloadable version of
"Musical Interlude / Shadowy Countdown" from the Videos page to save some space. I replaced
it with a link to the same video over at YouTube.
May 2, 2007
- Don Pyle has an exhibit of his photographs running at The Beaver
in Toronto. There's an online version as well at Don's new web site,
Click here to go the introduction or here to go straight to the show. Definitely check
this out … the photographs are excellent.
March 27, 2007
March 17, 2007
March 6, 2007
- Added links to the new, official Atomic 7 web page, www.atomic7brandladiesshoes.com. The new CD will
be available from that site, although currently the site is just a
splash screen. Looks cool though!
- Updated the FAQ with information about
"Mecca" being listed as "13" on a number of websites.
February 27, 2007
- Forest Juziuk passed on scans of the "Tools Of Our Trade" T-shirt
from the Shadowy Men's old catalog. Pictures are on the Etc. page. Thanks Forest!
- Forest also passed on a note that surprised the heck out of me.
Somehow I missed that the version of "Customized" on Wow Flutter Hiss '86 is
completely different from the one on Savvy Show Stoppers. I have
no idea how I missed that, but thanks for catching that Forest!
- Marc Matsumoto also passed on something I'd never noticed before
about Sport Fishin'. There's little hidden note on the CD
kinda like the notes on the LP sleeve spines. Details on the Album page. Thanks Marc!
February 24, 2007
February 23, 2007
February 18, 2007
- In the first of a few coming updates, I'll be adding some
pictures of Atomic 7 and Ancient Chinese Secret. First up is a set of
terrific pictures of Atomic 7
from 2006. Thanks to Chris Iwanoski for letting me use the
pictures, and to Joel for letting me know about them!
February 11, 2007
- Brian Connelly was kind enough to send me an advance copy of … Something For The Girl With
Everything (and it's great!). The release date is pushed back
to sometime this month (keep your fingers crossed), but all the
details are on the Atomic 7 albums
December 7, 2006
November 18, 2006
- Added a new promo picture to the Pictures page. This one features a photo
by Derek von Essen.
August 24, 2006
August 10, 2006
August 9, 2006
- Added an entry for the new live album by The Sadies, In Concert Volume One,
which was recorded by Steve Albini (who also recorded Sport
Fishin') and Don Pyle.
June 18, 2006
- Forest Juziuk sent on some cool stuff for the site. There's a
scan of the napkin from the Just
Married wedding. The back of it was autographed, so that's on
the Etc. page (scroll down a
bit). And finally, a cool new poster for the
Posters page. Thanks Forest!!
May 30, 2006
- Added a new autographed single I found on eBay … OK, one TED
found on eBay for me. Thanks Ted! A scan is on the Etc. page in the Autographed Stuff
March 21, 2006
- Added info on a new compilation I got on eBay (and thanks to Ted
James for the tip). It's a compilation called Rare Instrumentals, Vol.
9, although the Shadowy Men tracks aren't particularly rare,
and frankly, this looks like a pirate release. Thanks Ted!
March 14, 2006
- Got a nice surprise from in the mail from Sal Cincotta: Three new
articles for the Written Word page.
January 18, 2006
- Forgot one of Sean's contributions in yesterday's update. If you
go to the Kids In The Hall
entry on the Soundtracks page, you'll find links to MP3s of the
Shadowy Men music in each show (both the between-sketch links and any
appearances in sketches). They're taken from the DVDs, so any
applause and dialogue are still there, so some songs will be easier
to hear than others. Thanks Sean!
January 17, 2006
January 2, 2006
- Got an email from former Good Guys
singer Ken Priestley, who gave me the scoop on the band, and the
story on how the band that were eventually named Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet were briefly
a four-piece. Thanks Ken!
October 27, 2005
- Updated the Atomic 7 Members Page based
on the info in the article. Didn't have the first lineup of the band
(who recorded the debut single) listed. Got an email from original
drummer Neil Bartley straightening out the story. Thanks Neil!
October 19, 2005
- Back on October 5, Mich Vish did a wonderful interview with Brian
Connelly on his "Interracial Morning Show" on CFRU radio in Guelph.
The interview was archived on CFRU's web site, but because the
archive only lasts for 30 days, I got permission to have a copy
available here. So … if you missed out, go to the Downloads page
and check it out. The MP3 is 30 minutes long so you may want to
download first before you play it. Thanks to Mich Vish and CFRU!
August 8, 2005
June 6, 2005
- Joel found a new article on an
recent (like three days ago recent) Atomic 7 show in Edmonton. Thanks
- I've also updated the Atomic 7 Members
Page based on the info in the article.
May 19, 2005
- Finally … something new to add! Joel found a nice little article on Ancient
Chinese Secret. There's a link on the Words page now. Thanks Joel!
March 14, 2005
- Small update: Joel found RealMusic's Shadowy Men page which
has a small picture of the band I'd never seen before. So, there's a
link on the Words page now. Thanks
February 28, 2005
Dave O'Halloran from What Wave dropped me a note to let me
know that What Wave has a new web site, and that CHRW radio in London, Ontario
has a London Music Archive which has MP3s of all the songs on the
What Wave compilation tapes. Two of those tapes, Live In
London and What's All The Fuzz About, have live Shadowy
Men songs that appear nowhere else. Adding these links also made me
realize I'd never noted that the version of "Woman Shake" on
What's All The Fuzz About is different than the one on the
Live Record With Extra Bread And Cheese single. So I fixed
that too. Thanks Dave, and thanks CHRW!
February 18, 2005
- Joel sent on an article that
gives a little more detail about Brian's new band, Ancient Chinese
Secret. Thanks Joel!
- Added a main page for Ancient Chinese
Secret, now that I've got a little info to flesh it out.
- Added info on a promo CD single of "Having An Average Weekend" to
the Singles page.
- Added info on a Ironic
Hypersonic! new CD by The Nematoads. Ironic Hypersonic! has a
cover of "Egypt Texas". The CD is available for purchase on the Shopping page.
February 10, 2005
January 28, 2005
- Added a new entry to the Covers
page. The Ramblin' Ambassadors did a cover of a Brian Connelly song
in 2003, which later ended up as an Atomic 7 track.
December 28, 2004
December 16, 2004
- Hey! What'd'ya know … NEW CONTENT! Derek von Essen sent me some
cool new pictures that I've added to the Derek von Essen Collection Page.
There's one of the S Men in a CBC Radio booth doing an interview (last
entry in the 1991 section), and a new 1993 section with some pictures
from California. Thanks Derek!
November 16, 2004
- Internal cleanup, part 2. Ran the link checker against the site
and found a number of dead links. Some had just moved and some went
away. As before, if my cleanup has screwed something up, let me know!
November 11, 2004
- Got my copy of It's A
Team Mint Xmas, Vol. 2!, so I updated the entry for the CD
with the proper track list, songwriting credits, etc. Oh, and the new
Atomic 7 song is a killer. I didn't know you could have sleigh bells
on a song and still have it be menacing. Way cool.
November 4, 2004
- Joel sent me a reminder that It's A Team Mint Xmas, Vol.
2! is out now. Atomic 7 has a brand new song, "Señor
Santa Él Es El Monstruo", on the CD. While I was updating
things, I also realized that I had this CD listed on the Shadowy Men
Guest Appearances page, and it should have been on a Atomic 7 Compilations Page, which I
hadn't built yet. Oops! Everything's right now, although I may need
to update the CD listing once my copy comes.
November 1, 2004
October 27, 2004
- No new content at all, just some internal cleanup. I finally ran
an HTML checker against the site, and found a bunch of stuff that
wasn't right. I originally checked stuff by looking at it in Netscape
(and it looked fine), but I think Netscape's being a little too
"nice". Anyway, the site should lay out a bit better now. If my
cleanup has screwed something up, let me know!
October 11, 2004
- Joel passed on a new review of
… en Hillbilly Caliente. Thanks Joel!
- Tim over at TransformOnline passed on a another review of
… en Hillbilly Caliente. Thanks Tim!
- Got the scoop on Ancient Chinese Secret. See the News page for details.
- Started up an announcement list (see the top of the page).
Basically, if you want on the list, I'd be sending you an email
anytime I update the web page, or if I find out something that's not
ready for the web yet. Write if you want more details.
September 21, 2004
September 17, 2004
September 8, 2004
- Added a scan of another autographed CD
sleeve to the Etc. page.
- Joel found a note on The Backstabbers web site. In their Gig
list, they list a show on September 4, 2004, with the following note:
Special guests for the evening will be Ancient
Chinese Secret, Atomic 7's head honcho Brian Connelly's new
Anyone out there know about this?
August 30, 2004
- News from the Mint Records:
- Atomic 7 will be contributing a song called "Señor Santa
Él Es El Monstruo" (Spanish for "Santa Is A Monster") to
Mint's Christmas compilation It's A Team Mint Xmas, Vol.
2!, due out November 2, 2004.
- The new Neko Case live album, The Tigers Have Spoken,
features Brian Connelly, although I don't know how many songs he's
playing on. That one's due November 9.
August 24, 2004
August 12, 2004
- Joel found a cool review of a
Music Machine show. Thanks Joel!
- Cameron Gordon sent on the review he wrote for The Spill of
the July 30th Atomic 7 show at El Mocambo. Thanks Cameron!
- Derek von Essen was kind enough to let me use some more of his
pictures, so I revamped the Derek
von Essen Collection Page to better show 'em off (hopefully!).
Thanks to Derek for the pictures, and Joel for the heads-up.
July 30, 2004
- Another new article, this one on Vue Weekly's Music Notes page. It's all run
together so it's a little hard to find … just search for "Atomic
7". Thanks Joel!
July 28, 2004
- A blast of new Atomic 7 article links from Joel. Thanks!!
- Also got a cool action shot of Atomic 7
live at the Fluid Lounge in Nelson, BC. Thanks STAT!
- Updating the Pictures Page, I
noticed that the link to Rolling Stone's picture changed, so I
updated that link, and added a link to their little Shadowy Men page. I think they
just converted over their "surf music" photo gallery to this one,
because the "13 photos" in the gallery include two copies of the same
S Men picture, plus photos of Dick Dale, The Ventures, The Bomboras,
The Beach Boys, etc., etc.
July 23, 2004
- Potentially confusing shopping update:
- Took The Cocktail Preachers' Spy-Fi off of the Shopping page. I would have figured it'd
be available from The Cocktail Preachers home page, but that page
seems to currently be blank.
- Added Spy-Fi's Music For Spies, Thighs & Private Eyes -
Volume One: The Thigh Who Loved Me to the Shopping page.
July 22, 2004
- Found another new concert flyer on eBay
for a show with Shadowy Men and a number of other bands. Added it to
the Posters page.
- Jim had a much better picture of the 1993
tour t-shirt he sent. Updated the Etc.
page. Thanks Jim!
July 19, 2004
- More Atomic 7 pictures! Check
'em out!. Thanks Jack!
- Found a new concert flyer on eBay for a
show with Shadowy Men and a number of other bands. Added it to the Posters page.
- Jim Sorenson passed on a 1993 tour
t-shirt, which is basically a big green Shadowy Men on a bright
orange T-shirt. Yes, sunglasses would help. Added that to the Etc. page. Thanks Jim!
July 16, 2004
- Another Atomic 7 bonanza. Joel (who's been sending me amazing
leads lately), sent on:
- Four more Atomic 7 articles, two concert reviews (House Of Hot Sauce, from 2002 (cool
pictures!) and Reflections
In Words), a review of … en Hillbilly Caliente from FFWD, and an interview (Echo Weekly).
- A Peel Sessions web site (which no longer exists) that had
details on the S Men's Peel Session back in 1993. I've update the Unreleased Material page with the
- A site with a bunch of great pictures of Atomic 7 taken from a
show 5 days ago! I contacted the photographer, and he very kindly let
me copy the pictures over to the Shadowy Web. Check 'em out!. Thanks Jeff!
July 13, 2004
- It's finally here! Got my copy of … en Hillbilly
Caliente, so here's a bunch of Atomic 7 stuff. Specifically:
- Updated the Album Page with
info on the album.
- Updated the Member Page, 'cause Atomic
7 has a new bass player.
- Updated the Song Index page.
- Updated the Buyer's
Guide to put in a placeholder. I'll add a review after I've had a
few more listens.
- Heck, I even updated the background graphic on the Atomic 7 pages
'cause they seemed kind of hard-to-read. I think they look a lot
better now. Much easier to read.
- Added a link to a very nice article on Atomic 7 called "Dim The Lights, Cue The Hillbillies". In an
interesting bit of timing, Joel sent me an email about the story, and
before I could get the link up, the author of the article sent me a
note as well. Thanks Joel and Cameron!
June 30, 2004
June 8, 2004
May 14, 2004
- Updated the entries for the two CDs by Surf Cinema listed on the
May 4, 2004
April 26, 2004
April 20, 2004
April 6, 2004
March 24, 2004
- Big Update! The second Atomic 7 album is on the way - … en
Hillbilly Caliente is due out June 29. Read a little about it at
Americore Magazine (scroll down a bit to find it.) Many thanks
to Joel to tippin' me off!
March 22, 2004
- Small update to the Covers Page.
The Yesterday's Kids song "(Ode To) Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet"
appears on their second full-length album, Can't Hear Nothin'.
I previously only listed the demo version of the song, which appeared
on a Lookout! Records compilation. Note: The song isn't a Shadowy
Men cover, and it sounds nothing like the S Men.
March 10, 2004
March 3, 2004
- Small update … added a link to a page on Improbable Music
(which no longer works) that gives more details on the various
artists album Stuck On A Cold Steel
Pole. For starters, I didn't realize that Don & Reid
actually play on the track they helped produce. Thanks Phil!
January 25, 2004
January 12, 2004
- Added an entry to the Covers
Page for the new live album from The Cocktail Preachers. They
cover "Mecca" and "Having An Average Weekend". The CD is available
from the band at their web site. Thanks Steve!
November 14, 2003
- Price cut at the Shopping page!
Check it out!
November 10, 2003
- All done … the Banzai! article now has a MUCH
better translation. Thanks Leon!
November 4, 2003
- Got a translated second paragraph of the Banzai! article. Thanks again
November 2, 2003
- A surprise arrived in the mail yesterday, the second Pyle/Zealley
soundtrack album, this one for the film Proteus. Thanks
October 21, 2003
- Found a friend at work who, conveniently enough, used to work as
a English-German translator (in Germany), so a much better
translation of the Banzai!
article should be forthcoming shortly. In addition, he let me know
that "Schlagers" is an Anglicized version of the German for "hits"
(as in "hit singles"). "Schlager" is the German word for "hit", but
that's not how you'd make the plural in German. Thanks Leon!
13 Oktober 2003
- Ted James gab mir eine Kopie einer deutschen Zeitschrift, die Banzai! genannt wurde mit
einem Artikel auf Shadowy Men habe ich den Artikel auf deutsches und
englisch bekanntgegeben. Wenn Sie helfen können, meine
Übersetzung zu verbessern, informieren Sie mich bitte. Danke!
(aber schreiben Sie mich auf englisch - ich spreche nicht Deutsches).
September 28, 2003
- Despite the long gap, not a real big update this time. Found a
"new" t-shirt on eBay, so I updated the Etc. page.
August 4, 2003
- Another entry added to the Covers
page. The Metalunas (who have since broken up) did a cover of
"Plastics For 500, Bob" on their Instrumentals Of Terror! CD.
It's available from ZptdudaMusic.com, and you can hear an MP3
excerpt there as well.
July 17, 2003
- No … I haven't fallen off the end of the Earth, just no real
updates until now (it's not a biggie). I've added a new entry to the
Covers page. Bob Wiseman's album,
City Of Wood has a song called "The Trouble With Shadowy Men
On A Shadowy Planet". Bob was frequently on the same bill as Shadowy
Men, so it's obviously a friendly tribute. And no, the song doesn't
sound like the S Men. I told you it wasn't a biggie.
May 19, 2003
- Another new article today, with very small Shadowy content, but
interesting anyway. It's from a 1994
issue of BAM (Bay Area Music). "King of the Surf Guitar"
Dick Dale is played tracks by sixteen bands (without being told in
advance who they are) and comments on each. Shadowy Men are one of
the bands (why else would I have put this up?)
May 13, 2003
May 12, 2003
- Yeah, it's been a while, but I'm still here. Added an nice
article/interview from the June, 1992 issue of Alternative Press. Should
have a few more updates soon.
April 10, 2003
- Last item from Alex's recent donation. This one's an article about a band called "One Eyed
Jacks" that Alex played with after Crash Kills Five. The article
has brief histories of the One Eyed Jacks members' former bands, so
there's a nice big part on Crash Kills Five. Thanks Alex!
April 4, 2003
- OK, this article isn't "fun" like I mentioned last time, but it's
an interesting read. The new
article is an obituary that also doubles as a nice brief
biography. Thanks Alex!
April 1, 2003
- Just a quick update today … got a copy of the Juno Collection 1992
CD through eBay, and that let me update the scan and the track
listing. More fun stuff from Alex will go up soon.
March 31, 2003
- Got some new stuff from Alex Koch that'll go up in stages. First
up is a Crash Kills Five poster on the Posters page and a review of the CK5 EP. Thanks
- Also got some new stuff from Dallas Diamond. There's a Motion
Machine T-shirt and badge added to the Etc.
page. Thanks Dallas!
March 4, 2003
- Added a link to Umbrella Music to The
Written Word. It's not an article, but rather a video interview
with Brian Connelly. Sign up, then search for "Atomic 7". It's a
terrific 10-minute interview with a little bit of live footage. Way
cool. Thanks Joel!
- Added a link to Huevosaurus, a new Huevos Rancheros web page. See
their entries on the Etc. page for
why a Huevos link makes sense.
- Added two new entries to the Covers Page for the studio and
live albums from Surf Cinema. Thanks Ted!
February 17, 2003
February 11, 2003
- Added the final article from Rich's donation. This one's a pretty
early article, probably from
1986. My thanks again for the massive contribution. Thanks
January 29, 2003
January 21, 2003
January 20, 2003
January 9, 2003
January 6, 2003
- Yes, still more new articles. Two this time around. The first is
from a Seattle magazine, The Rocket,
May, 1991. The article is interesting, but there's a number of
facts the author's got wrong. Still a good read though. The other is
from and unknown source, and it's a review of Take
January 5, 2003
- One more article from Rich's stash. This one is an excellent article on
Phono-Comb. It gives a lot of details about how the band came
together. A must read.
January 4, 2003
- Yet more goodies from Rich's stash. Added some smaller stuff this
January 3, 2003
- Another article from Rich's stash. This one is from the October 1990 issue of
Discorder. It's a long, strange interview of Don Pyle by
Vancouver radio personality Nardwuar The Human Serviette. Thanks
January 2, 2003
December 28, 2002
- Got a new picture from Dallas Diamond. It's from one of the
Shadowy Men theme shows. This one was "Prom
Night". I'm sure Reid was the belle of the ball!
December 12, 2002
December 11, 2002
- Added a link to a new article on Atomic 7 to The Written Word page. It's the very
last one on the page. Thanks Sean!
- Added info on the new compilation by The Mill Valley Taters, which
contains their Shadowy Men cover, "Unwatchable / Three Piece Suit"
(same version as on the trbiute CD). Thanks Ted!
November 27, 2002
Rich Hagensen sent on an amazing collection of articles, posters, and other Shadowy stuff for the web. I'll be scanning them and adding them to the web as I have time. Today's update is what I've scanned so far. Thanks Rich!!
November 19, 2002
- Michael and Jo from The Sin-Tones sent on a correction to my listings
of the members of Heatseekers. They should
know, former Heatseekers' drummer Sean Dignan is now The Sin-Tones
drummer. A week or so later, I got my very own copy of the
Heatseekers single (thanks Marc!), and in a big surprise, there's an
insert that actually lists the band members! Anyway, the Heatseekers
member and singles pages are updated.
- Got a flyer from Alex Koch for Reid
Diamond's short-lived band, Good Guys. Don't know much apart from
what's on the flyer, but what I do know is on the new Good Guys page.
- Added some scans of MOTO's single
Magic Words to the Etc. page.
MOTO's drummer was the bride in the marriage for which the S Men
recorded Just Married as a
wedding favor. Thanks Ted!
- Added some new scans of the Shadowy Men matchbook to the Etc. page. Thanks Marc!
- Added a new Atomic 7 article
to the Written Word page. Thanks
- Touched up the text on the Brain Candy soundtrack. Thanks
October 25, 2002
- At long last! The answer to the question that has plaged scholars
for ages … Did Shadowy Men record the theme to Kids In The
Hall: Brain Candy? Well, I cheated and asked Don Pyle. The
answer is … is … on the Soundtracks page. Thanks
October 24, 2002
- Got a scan of a cool new Crash Kills Five poster (for "A Crash
Kills Five Christmas"). It's on the Posters
page. Thanks Marc!
- Marc also sent along the story behind the title "That Wuz Ear Me
Callin' A Horse". I've added that to the notes for the entry for Music For Pets. Thanks!
October 23, 2002
October 16, 2002
- Added links to a new review of Savvy Show Stoppers (yeah,
I know, what took 'em so long?) and … Gowns By Edith Head to
the Written Word page, along with
an old review of Messin' With Greek Buck and a link to a
October 9, 2002
October 8, 2002
October 3, 2002
- Don Pyle sent on a couple of pictures taken right after they
completed their work on Fred Schneider's Just Fred album. They're down at
the bottom of the Pictures page.
September 24, 2002
September 23, 2002
Records sent over a scan of the template that will be used for
… Gowns By Edith Head. Very, very cool. The info (and cover
art) on the Atomic 7 album page has been
updated, and the whole scan is on the Etc.
page. Thanks Mint!
- Moved the info on Kids In The Hall: Brain Candy to the Soundtracks page. It's a movie
soundtrack, not a compilation. And besides, I learned that "I Know A
Guy Named Larry" is used in one of the trailers, so it really fits
better over there. Thanks Sean!
- Updated the Savvy Show
Stoppers Cover Art page with scans of the single-sheet insert
that came in the album.
September 18, 2002
- Added three new posters sent in from James Booth. Thanks James!
While I was at it, I rearranged the Posters
page to make it a little more organized, and moved two items to
the Etc. and Pictures pages, 'cause that's really
where they belonged.
September 14, 2002
September 12, 2002
- Updated some details on Neko Case's albums on the Guest Page, as well as added a new sampler,
Team Mint Volume 2, that has a Neko Case track that Brian
Connelly plays on. Thanks Patrick!
September 9, 2002
August 30, 2002
- Added two new promo pictures of Phono-Comb to the pictures page and did a little
straightening up on the page.
- Got the scoop on the compilation album Better Late Than
Never. There's a good reason why it's been so hard to nail down!
Details at the bottom of the Crash
Kills Five compilation page. Thanks James!
- Cleaned up the entry on Fifth Column's 36C (which Don Pyle plays
August 15, 2002
- Another small update: Clarified the availability of the first
Shadowy Men cassette and added it to the Buyer's Guide. Thanks Sean!
July 26, 2002
- Smaller update: Deep Eddy is currently out of Shadowy Men stuff,
so they've been taken off the Shopping
page. The tribute CD and some of the tapes and CDs with Shadowy Men
covers are still available though.
July 23, 2002
- Another big update … check out the Singles Page for the scoop on the
cassette that Shadowy Men recorded over a year before Love Without
Words. Thanks Dallas!
- And speaking of Love Without Words, got a scan of another
alternate cover. Thanks
- Added an update to the Unreleased
Music page with details on a film the Shadowy Men used before a
show they did called "The Truth About J.F.K."
- Added an interesting note about one of Alex Koch's previous
bandmates to the Crash Kills Five members
July 19, 2002
- Got a huge donation of scans for the web from Grant Diamond.
There's a new Crash Kills Five poster
advertising their single, some silk screen
dies used to make Buick McKane
t-shirts, bumper stickers, business cards (and the new Buick McKane
logo on the web), and a ton of pictures of Buick McKane, some live
some promotional. Those are on the new "Grant Diamond Collection" pictures
page. Thanks Grant!!
- As a result of Grant's donation, I also cleaned up the pictures page a bit and added a picture
sent on by Don Pyle. Thanks Don!
- Added info on the new Neko Case CD, Blacklisted. Brian Connelly plays
on the album.
- Added a link to Bob Wiseman's Evil Homepage. Bob opened for and
played with Shadowy Men on their 1992 tour. He also worked on Bruce
McCulloch's Shame-Based Man
with Brian Connelly.
July 8, 2002
- Added info on a 1993 tribute CD, Keep On The Sunny Side. Don
Pyle plays drums on Fifth Column's contribution to the CD.
June 14, 2002
May 28, 2002
- Added info on the new Bruce McCulloch CD Drunk Baby Project, now
available at the Kids In The Hall live shows, or via www.brucio.com.
Brian Connelly plays on the whole album and co-wrote most of the
songs. Thanks for picking me up a copy Sean!
May 23, 2002
- Couple of small adds (a slight variant in Savvy Show Stoppers CD
packaging and a note about the S Men's appearance in a KITH skit). Thanks Sean!
May 19, 2002
May 16, 2002
- Added two great new new posters
sent on from Alex Koch. Thanks Alex!
April 26, 2002
- Hallelujah!! Added a cover scan of the elusive 13 Back-Ordered Hits!
- Added details on the new Greek Buck album, No Time.
April 5, 2002
- Added a new picture of Jad Fair & Phono-Comb to the Pitcures page. Thanks Patrick!
- Added a request on the main page for folks to send in any stories
they'd like to share. Thanks to Don V for the suggestion!
- Added another appearance on The Kids In The Hall.
March 18, 2002
February 25, 2002
February 20, 2002
February 12, 2002
- Update to the Written Word page. I've
added links to Phil Dirt's Reverb Central and direct links to his reviews of
a number of Shadowy Men singles and albums (and the tribute). Thanks
for the reminder, Sean.
February 6, 2002
- Update to the Awards page. The
score for The Law Of Enclosures is up for a Genie!
February 5, 2002
- Cool new interview! Forest Juziuk sent me the Phono-Comb interview he did
back in late '97. Thanks Forest!
February 4, 2002
- Couple o' small updates. Added a note about the Schlagers! cover variants (no
scans though), and the title of original version of "Harlem By The
Sea" ("Harlem Nocturne") to the Savvy Show Stoppers section of
the albums page.
January 18, 2002
- Another Crash Kills Five song is on CD! One of the B-sides of
their EP, "Special School", has been relased on the new compilation
called Hyped To Death #51: U.S. & Canadian Punk 45s '77-84:
"C". Details on the release are on the Crash Kills Five compilations
- Added another appearance in The Kids In The Hall.
January 17, 2002
- The first lyrics update in 4.5 years! OK, it's not that big a
deal. Sean pointed out to me that there's a little studio talk at the
beginning of Phono-Comb's "It's A Long Way Back", and since I've
listed everything else like that, I updated the Fresh Gasoline lyrics.
- Updated the listing for Savvy
Show Stoppers. I'd forgotten that the album was originally
released in 1988 on Glass Records in the UK. After Glass went under,
Cargo picked up the album and re-released it in 1990.
- Added a new linked article to The Written
Word. It's Chart Attack's list of the top 100 Canadian albums of
January 13, 2002
- Quick update. Took Take Outs off the Shopping page. Deep Eddy Records is out
of them, and Cargo seems to be out as well. If you're looking for a
copy, check out eBay. I see copies for sale there from time to
January 12, 2002
- Oh my! Alex Koch sent on some great Crash Kills Five stuff.
There's a bunch of pictures, some
new posters of CK5 and S Men (last five
on the page), and a cool little table
header. Thanks Alex!
January 9, 2002
- Got some better information on Crash Kills
Five's lineups from CK5 drummer Alex Koch. Thanks Alex!
- As a result, I retooled the "band member" pages to include a
brief bio to help keep everything straight.
December 30, 2001
- Got some new posters from Dallas Diamond, and so I spun off a
separate Posters Page.
- Dallas also sent on an early "Musical
Menu". It's a great idea. Check it out.
December 29, 2001
December 27, 2001
- Added information on the film Jimmy Neutron: Boy
Genius. "I Know A Guy Named Larry" is being used in the
film's TV commercials. Thanks to J.P. and Michelle for letting me
know about this!
- Added more details on the S Men's appearances on The Kids In The Hall.
- While I was there, I did some general clean-up on the Soundtracks Page in general.
December 21, 2001
December 18, 2001
- For the first time, a Crash Kills Five song is on CD. The A-side
of their EP, "What Do You Do At Night?", has been relased on the new
compilation called Teen Line #7: Powerpop & Poprock 45s: B
& C. Details on the release are on the Crash Kills Five compilations
December 11, 2001
- Added a new FAQ about the similarity
between "Having An Average Weekend" and an older Johnny Thunders song
called "It's Not Enough". Thanks Andrew.
- Updated the Medleys with
more information on "The Chicken Dance". I know, you can relax now
… this is the update you've all been waiting for.
December 2, 2001
November 29, 2001
- I've updated the Covers
Page with a new tribute to Shadowy Men. A band called Yesterday's
Kids does a song called "Ode To The Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet"
It's not a Shadowy Men cover, but it's obviously a tribute to the
November 15, 2001
November 6, 2001
October 30, 2001
October 18, 2001
- Got news of a new book with references to Shadowy Men. Details on
the newly reformatted Written Word page.
October 8, 2001
October 4, 2001
- Sean noticed that there are two different rear covers for the
vinyl Savvy Show Stoppers,
one with the picture in B&W and one tinted blue. Updated the info
page, and I'll add scans when I can.
September 28, 2001
September 24, 2001
- Added track listings for the Law Of Enclosures
- Canadian trio Huevos Rancheros thanks the S Men on a couple of
their CDs (The S Men were a big influence on 'em). Thanks to Patrick
Michalishyn for passing these on. Details and scans on the Etc. page.
- Added a complete track list for the Comic Book Confidential
September 17, 2001
- Got answers to a bunch of questions from Don Pyle! Changes are
sprinkled around the Shadowy Web, covering:
- Added information on the film Dogma. "Run Chicken Run"
was used in the film's trailer.
September 7, 2001
September 5, 2001
- Updated information on the film Pitch.
- Updated information on Fresh
Gasoline. There's two different colors of CDs for this album.
Thanks for the info, Sean.
- Updated the Awards page to note the
Blizzard Award won for the Law Of Enclosures soundtrack.
August 29, 2001
August 28, 2001
August 23, 2001
August 22, 2001
August 21, 2001
- Added information on the film Pitch. According to
several web sources, Shadowy Men and Phono-Comb songs are on the movie's
August 20, 2001
- Updated the track information for the elusive Brave New Waves
compilation thanks to Patrick (who's found me a copy). Many, many
thanks! Oh, and as a result, I've also updated the want list on the
August 17, 2001
- Small touch-up to the FAQ.
August 10, 2001
August 8, 2001
- You can now order the Take Outs single on the Shopping page.
July 25, 2001
- Grant Diamond passed on a wonderful fake biography of
Shadowy Men called The Songs All
Sound The Same. Thanks Grant!
- Also added a picture of Crash Kills
Five that I got from Leeanne Betzler. Thanks Leeanne!
- As long as I was adding that picture, I also did a little work on
the various bands' main pages.
July 19, 2001
- Grant Diamond passed on some more details about Buick McKane for me. Thanks Grant!
July 11, 2001
- Got some new pictures for the page. They were taken by David Gary
Fisher at a show in Waterloo in 1989. Check out the Pictures page for the new stuff. Thanks
for finding these, Sean!
July 6, 2001
July 5, 2001
- I added a new Awards page to note
the S Men's two Juno nominations (with one win!).
- I also added a new article (new to me, it's from '97) to The Written Word.
- And finally, I added a writeup of the Tribute CD Release Party, complete
with bad pictures!
June 29, 2001
- A real minor update, just to prove I'm still here. :-) I've
updated the Buyer's Guide a bit.
I've finally seen some of the rarer S Men singles on eBay, so I
changed the "rarity" codes for those releases.
June 5, 2001
- Added scans of pictures of the front and back of the two Shadowy
Men t-shirts I've got on the Etc
May 22, 2001
- Added some new promo pictures to the Pictures page and the poster for the
tribute CD release party to the Etc page.
- Added a note to the Albums page to
note that Dim The Lights, Chill The Ham was also pressed on
pink vinyl. Thanks Sean.
May 16, 2001
- Added a Webmaster page to tell
you a little bit about me. Read if you're having trouble
May 15, 2001
May 12, 2001
May 9, 2001
May 4, 2001
- My copy of Explosion Of Taste (aka "the popcorn single")
arrived yesterday. I knew I wanted to get some pictures up, so I took
the opportunity to change how I've been showing alternate
single/album sleeves. Each entry on the main pages show the main CD
or single and there's a link to a separate page that shows the cover
variations, unusual packaging, etc. You'll find some of these on the
Shadowy Men Singles and Albums pages.
- I updated the Buyer's Guide a
- Got a definitive read on apostrophes and pluralizing
abbreviations. Thank's Sean.
May 1, 2001
- Couple o' small Sadies-related updates. Found out that The
Sadies' bass player Sean Dean was the original bassist in Atomic 7, but didn't have the time to devote
to Atomic 7. Also found out that Reid Diamond played on all three
songs on The Sadies debut single, Dying Ain't No Way To Make A
April 30, 2001
- Added the ability to order the three Shadowy Men albums (on CD)
and the Tired Of Waking Up Tired split single to the Shopping page.
April 23, 2001
April 20, 2001
- Picked up a new Shadowy Men-related album on eBay. However, I
don't know a thing about the act involved! The Shadowy Men play on
two tracks on The Al And George
Story by "Al And George" (oddly enough). Can you shed some
light on this one for me? If so, drop me a note. I'd
really appreciate it!
April 18, 2001
April 13, 2001
April 12, 2001
- Wow: it's been a whole year since I installed the counter, and
the Shadowy Web's had 7370 hits, or about 20 a day. You like me …
<sniff> you really like me. Thanks for stoppin' by!
April 9, 2001
- Don Vigeant sent on a scan of the cover of the Chixdiggit! single
"Shadowy Bangers From A Shadowy Duplex", and I've updated the Covers Page with the info. It's not
really a cover, but it's an obvious tribute to the band. Go take a
look, you'll see what I mean.
April 1, 2001
March 26, 2001
- Added the official release date (April 1, 2001) for the tribute album.
- Updated the Buick McKane page thanks
to an update from one of the band's founders. Thanks Bob!
- Updated a bunch of Greek Buck information, including details on
their most recent CD, Bucquiem and a slew of film scores.
March 14, 2001
March 12, 2001
- Got a bunch of wonderful new stuff for the page from Shawn Nagy.
Check out the Etc and Pictures for the new stuff. Thanks
March 9, 2001
March 7, 2001
- Added news about the new Greek Buck CD, Bucquiem, and a link to the
new official Greek Buck web site.
- Added a section on another pre-Shadowy band, Buick McKane as well as Reid's
post-Phono-Comb band, Danny And Reid's Motion
Machine. I don't have a lot of info on either, but I thought I'd
add sections for 'em anyway.
- Additions to The Written Word
March 5, 2001
- Just a small grammatical change. Back when the Shadowy Web was
launched, it was a single page with a plain HTML discography. Sean
pointed out (quite correctly) that now that we're over 100 HTML
pages, it's hard to really call this a web page anymore. It's
a web site. Changing the graphics was easier than I thought
(plus it let me finally correct the centering problem in the main
logo), so it's all up-to-date now. Thanks Sean.
- Got some info on Crash Kills Five from Leeanne. "Alex" is Alex
Koch, whose brother Steven was in The Viletones. Thanks for the
March 1, 2001
- Just some small touch-ups: corrected the songwriting credit for
"Autumn Leaves" and corrected the listing for "16 Encores".
February 21, 2001
February 12, 2001
- Small update. Just found out that some of the copies of Sport
Fishin' have the yellow lettering that my CD sleeve does. My
vinyl sleeve has green lettering. Thanks Sean!
January 31, 2001
- Another tribute update. Work is still in progress, but we're
probably looking at a late February release at this point.
January 30, 2001
- Finally uploaded some overall organizational changes I've wanted
to do for ages. There's now a main page for each band. The logos on
the main page will take you to those main pages. You can still go
straight to the lower pages from the main page by using the neato
pulldown … Thanks for the java code Ted!
- I also cleaned up the FAQ a bit.
January 29, 2001
- Added a new Shopping page. You can
buy CDs and tapes on Deep Eddy Records through the Shadowy Web. When
the tribute is released, you'll be able to buy that here as well.
- Reid Diamond played an early Sadies single. Details on the Guest Appearances page.
- Added a link to Gearhead magazine's "Top 100 Albums Of The 90's
list" to The Written Word.
January 26, 2001
- Added a link to Gearhead magazine's "Top 100 Albums Of The 90's
list" to The Written Word.
- Added a link to the Kids In The Hall Audio Archive to the Links page. They've got a page with Shadowy
Men Wave and RealAudio files.
- Updated the Shadowy Men Unreleased
Music page. The S Men did a Peel Session back in '93. No details,
January 25, 2001
- Tiny update … Just added the handy little pull-down menu on the
main page so you can jump straight to the section for the band you
want info on.
January 22, 2001
- Added a "Soundtracks" for both Shadowy Men and Greek Buck to list the TV shows and
movies to which they contributed music.
January 19, 2001
- Internal reorganization … renamed most of the pages to get
myself a better system for the pages on the Shadowy Web. Sorry if
this broke any direct links -- I wanted to add some new stuff, and
it's been a pain to figure out which file was which.
January 17, 2001
January 16, 2001
- Added a new clip to the video page.
It's actually two videos, one for "Musical Interlude" and one for
"Shadowy Countdown", but they're back to back in one MPG file. The
size is a little big, so you probably ought to download it first and
then play it.
December 29, 2000
December 28, 2000
- Added the new Song Index
- Did some smaller cleanups, like adding the the third cover for Wow Flutter Hiss '86.
- Added the "big news" section above.
- A few typo corrections around the page.
December 18, 2000
December 15, 2000
- Another tribute update. The last tape has arrived! We're still
probably looking at a January release at this point.
- Added a new article to The Written
Word. This one's from an issue of Music Scene from 1990.
It's a good one.
December 6, 2000
- Another tribute update. The last tape should be arriving at Deep
Eddy Records this week, so the final work can begin in earnest after
that. With time for mastering and pressing, we're probably looking at
a January release at this point.
December 2, 2000
Well … we're back to small updates. The big update about the video clip is below, in the November 22 update.
- Thanks to a note from Denise Angeloni, I've updated the Heatseekers member page. Sean and Chris Dignan
from another Toronto band, Suckerpunch, were the other members of
Heatseekers. Thanks Denise!
- Updated the video page with the
proper track listing to Carry On Disarming.
November 22, 2000
(Oh my … two whole months
since my last real update. Fortunately, this update's a doozy!)
- Added a video page. There's some
notes about which songs had videos made, plus a Real Video clip of
"They Don't Call Them Chihuahuas Anymore". Many thanks to Trista
Lycosky of kithfan.org for this one!
- Thanks to Derek von Essen, we now have a bunch of new
contributions to the Shadowy Men Pictures collection. Derek was Mr.
Merchandise for the Men for a while, so we've got pictures you'd have
never seen anywhere else. Many thanks to Derek for
- Updated the Schlagers! game
page. For a long time, I didn't realize the "lunar bingo chips"
and "space bolt" mentioned in the rules were actually included. Now
that I've found a copy, I added a scan of 'em and updated the
- Updated the tribute album
info. There's a new release date announced. See the News page for the full scoop.
- Added links for new Sadies and King
Cobb Steelie home pages.
October 4, 2000
- Don't know why I just noticed, but the last time I cleaned up the
page, I accidentally got rid of the link to the "Thanks!" page. The
page was still there, but there was no way to get there! Whoops! It's
September 25, 2000
- Added some links to articles from kithfan.org's Shadowy Men page, which is quite a
nice page! The links to the articles are on The Written Word page, which I'm sure you
guessed. Trista (the webmaster at kithfan.org also let me swipe a copy of a cool ad
for Love Without Words (which is now on the Etc. page) and a cool video capture from
The Kids In The Hall credits (which is now on the Pictures page). Thanks Trista!
- Added a link to the Links page for kithfan.org, so I
took a sec and organized the links page a bit better. No other new
links, just a little cleaning up.
September 22, 2000
- Added some alternate covers for Love Without Words and
Wow Flutter Hiss to the Singles
& EPs page and two more flyers to the Etc. page.
September 21, 2000
September 19, 2000
- Oh my … two weeks with nothin'? Sheesh. Well, I've just added a
new entry to The Written Word page. This
one's a live review from East Coast Rocker. Weirdly enough,
it's the first review I've seen that tries to describe the band's
music without using the word "surf".
September 5, 2000
- Small updates to the tribute
album info. There's slightly new cover art and two new bands
listed, The Unknown and The Deoras.
August 29, 2000
- Picked up a cool promo picture on eBay. Check it out on the Pictures page.
August 23, 2000
- Updated the potential release date of the tribute album to October. The
Sadies won't have time to record their track until September, and we
definitely want The Sadies on there!
- Picked up another Canadian promo compilation CD on eBay. Details
are on the Compilations page.
August 9, 2000
- Added a new entry to The Written Word
page. This one's from The Trouser Press Guide To '90s Rock.
Pretty good overview of the band's work.
August 3, 2000
- Just changed some look-and-feel. Ted passed some info to me about
HTML style sheets, so I've updated how the links work on the pages.
Got rid of the underlines. Pretty cool! Thanks Ted!
August 1, 2000
- Got a new poster for the Etc. page!
Thanks Ted and Brian!
July 31, 2000
July 28, 2000
- Just a little reorganization of the Pictures and Etc. pages. I moved the promo picture over to
the picture page because, well, it is a PICTURE after
all. I catch on fast.
July 26, 2000
- Picked up a new Canadian promo compilation CD on eBay. Details
are on the Compilations page.
- Finally got around to some cosmetic touch-ups (creating GIF logos
for Crash Kills Five and Barely Pink), standardizing the titles and
headers on each page, that sort of thing.
July 21, 2000
- Finally added transcripts for the Savvy Show Stoppers
reviews Don sent on. They're on The Written
July 20, 2000
- Pulled out details on the various Shadowy Men medleys into a
separate Medleys page. When I got some
details from Don Pyle about "Autumn Leaves" (see the July 4 update),
I also got a full breakdown of the unreleased "16 Encores". Details
are on the new page.
July 18, 2000
- Got a copy of Rolling Stone magazine's "New Faces '91" issue.
There was a little blurb on the S Men in there with a nice picture.
It's on The Written Word page.
- I also reformatted the main page a bit to make it a little
shorter. For instance, the help on buying Shadowy Men stuff is in the
FAQ page now. I mean, it really is the
answer to an FAQ, that's where it should go. Oh, and I updated the
FAQ a bit.
July 14, 2000
- Hey! The Shadowy Web won an award!. It's from Links2Go. The
Shadowy Web was 16th out of 34 web sites they surveyed on Surf
July 10, 2000
- Updated the screen saver on the Downloads page. The screen saver
I had up there before was locking up on me, so I built it another
way. It came out way too large (appx 6M), so I just made a much
smaller screen saver made up of just the live concert posters. This
one seems to work better, plus it's only 1.7M, so downloading it
isn't so ridiculous.
July 7, 2000
- Just a little FAQ touchup. Nothin'
July 6, 2000
- A new page, Downloads, has arrived. What's there? A cheap screen
saver, a crude WinAMP skin, and a WAV file you can use as a Windows
July 4, 2000
- A small update this time. Just found out that the little 5-note
thingy after "Cheese In The Fridge" on Sport Fishin' is
actually a cover of "Autumn Leaves". The cover used to be longer with
that chord progression finishing the song. All that remained is the
finish! Thanks Don!
June 19, 2000
- Back from vacation, and lots to update. While I was out, a
package came from Don Pyle containing lots of Shadowy goodies. Check
the Etc page for most of 'em. The only one
not there is a scan of the cover for Explosion Of Taste when
it wasn't packaged with the Jiffy Pop. Thanks so much Don!
- Also put in cover Squid Vicious' At War With The Whale
with cover art and a firmer release date: July 3! The cover's very
cool. Check it out!
June 2, 2000
- Updated the potential release date of the tribute album. It's looking more
like August now. Mind you, I've heard some of the tracks … it'll be
worth the wait!
May 30, 2000
- Little changes: slight reorganization of the main page plus an
May 29, 2000
- Another big update … I've now got cover art for the Atomic 7
single, so the graphics are up-to-date. Take a peek over at the Atomic 7 Singles page. Thanks again
May 23, 2000
- Wow … the first update in ages! Ted James sent on scans of more
concert flyers. Check 'em out on the Etc
page. Thanks Ted!
May 3, 2000
- Updated the Shadowy News page to more
accurately reflect current goings-on.
- Added the banner about Squid Vicious' webcast concert.
April 27, 2000
- Small cosmetic tweaking. Nothin' big.
April 26, 2000
April 24, 2000
- Found the track list for King Cobb Steelie's self-titled CD
(which Don Pyle produced).
April 20, 2000
- Found a copy of Spin on eBay with an old Shadowy Men interview. A
transcription (along with a big scan of the whole thing) is now on The Written Word page.
April 19, 2000
- Updated the info on the tribute
album. The Sadies are on board to cover either "Algoma
Reflections" or "Honey, You're Wasting Ammo"! Thanks for the update
- Updated the Shadowy News page.
- Got a copy of Time Machine, so I added songwriting on the
Compilations page. Two of the Friends of the page appear on the CD (Rich
Hagensen with The Surfdusters and Zak Izbinsky of The Treblemakers),
and both songs are terrific (as is the CD in general)!
April 14, 2000
- Cleaned up the eBay searches on the main page. Thanks for the
- Split this file into two separate files to cut down the size a
April 13, 2000
April 12, 2000
- Updated the link to Deep Eddy Records' page about the tribute
- Added details on a new album with a Shadowy Men cover, The
Cocktail Preachers' Spy-Fi album. Details are on the Tributes & Covers page.
- Added a counter to the main web page.
April 11, 2000
- Whew. Finally took a day off, and boy I feel refreshed. Two
updates from Ted today, more details on the Heatseekers single, and
more info on Ted's band Squid Vicious' new album, which includes a
cover of "Egypt Texas". See the Tributes & Covers page for the
new track listing.
April 9, 2000
- Oh my … fifth day in a row with an update. I should probably at
least rent a life to see what it's like :-). Anyway, I finally
upgraded the cover scan of Double Happiness.
April 8, 2000
- Added an update about Don Pyle's score for the upcoming film
The Law Of Enclosures. See the Shadowy
News page for details.
April 7, 2000
- Got more details on the Heatseekers and Atomic 7 singles from a
new friend of the page, Rich Hagensen of The Surfdusters. Thanks
- I also split out the info on Crash Kills Five into a separate
section, instead of having a "pre-Shadowy Men" section.
April 6, 2000
- Nothing big. Just a quick touchup to the FAQ page.
April 5, 2000
- Three updates, all made possible because of info from Ted James
Vicious. Thanks Ted!
- Added a section on the Heatseekers and their lone split
- Updated the info on the tribute album. See the Tributes & Covers page for the
new track listing.
- Added info on the upcoming Squid Vicious album, At War With The Whale, which
will be including a cover of the S Men's "Egypt Texas". Click here for Squid
Vicious' home page.
- Oh, and one small update. Someone on eBay was auctioning a copy
of Sport Fishin' and had a nice scan of the vinyl sleeve, so I
grabbed it and added it to the Sport Fishin' entry on the Albums page.
March 30, 2000
- Got a new home for the page. The new address is http://shadowy.brainiac.com.
The old address has a redirector page up, so no links will be
- Added a number of sections for Don Pyle's new band, Greek
- Added a Shadowy News page to hold
stuff I find about the current goings-on of the Shadowy Men. It'll be
updated as I find things out, but I'm betting it won't be real
- Updated the Goodbye page to
formally acknowledge Phono-Comb's demise. Obviously, with no releases
in FOUR years, it was pretty clear, but I'd been waiting until I had
a more official confirmation.
- Added info on Don Pyle's work with King Cobb Steelie to the Guest Appearances page.
- Added notes on the "spine gags" on the vinyl versions of the
Shadowy Men Albums.
- Added info on Shellac's The Futurist album on the Etc page.
March 27, 2000
- Updated info on the new Neko Case & Her Boyfriends album. See
the Guest Appearances for the scoop.
March 26, 2000
- Now THIS is the way to come back from vacation. My very
own copy of Double Happiness was waiting in the mail for me.
I'll update the cover scan to get a little better shot.
- If that isn't enough, a package from Dave at What Wave
came with a copy of a publicity photo, some concert flyers, a set
list, and another What Wave compilation tape. Updates are at
the Compilations and the Etc pages. Thanks Dave!
March 16, 2000
- Added more details on Caution! Hot Tips! to the Compilations page. Yes, I won
March 13, 2000
- Added info on the new Neko Case & Her Boyfriends album. Brian
plays guitar in the band.
March 12, 2000
- Added info on a promo sampler for Bruce McCulloch's
March 1, 2000
- Just found information on a compilation album I'd never heard of
(Caution! Hot Tips!) on eBay. Added details to the Compilations page. Oh, and yes, I
bid on it. A request: If you outbid me for this one, that's cool, but
please pass on some details on the CD (and maybe a cover scan?).
February 28, 2000
- More good stuff from What Wave: FOURTEEN pictures
of the band in action. So, yeah you guessed it, a new Pictures page. Thanks Dave!
February 24, 2000
- Added info on Live In London, a sampler from a What
Wave fanzine. Thanks Sal!
- In a bizarre bit of timing, later the same day I got an email
from the former publisher of What Wave. What I had listed as
"flyers" on the Etc page were actually
articles from What Wave. So, I transcribed 'em and moved 'em
over to the The Written Word page. I
moved the scans with 'em. Thanks Dave!
February 20, 2000
- Added info on a promo sampler CD for the Brain Candy
February 15, 2000
- Added info on The Sadies' Pure Diamond Gold on the Guest Appearances page, since Don Pyle
recorded half of it. Phono-Comb's Dallas Good is also a member of The
- Added info on The Mulchmen's Covered With Mulch to the new
Tributes & Covers page. Thanks
- Added the first new tab in over two years! A new guitar tab (with
some notes about bass) of "Having An Average Weekend" is now on the
Guitar & Bass Tabs page. Thanks
February 14, 2000
- Added the new Tributes & Covers
page, and started it off with the planned Shadowy Men tribute album,
Better Than The Average Weekend.
January 25, 2000
- Added songwriting credits for Neko Case's The Virginian
album. Thanks Sal!
January 24, 2000
- Added and entry for Fifth Column's 36C to the Guest Appearances page, since Don Pyle
plays on it.
- Added some more songwriter credits.
January 20, 2000
- Did a little general cleanup in the song listings. I've included
non-Shadowy Men songs in the listings (with the band name shown).
Also found a better scan of the cover of Time Machine.
January 18, 2000
- Added a new article to The Written
Word. This one's from an old issue of Alternative Press I
had from '93.
January 11, 2000
- Added a new section, The Written Word
to hold interviews and the like. Why did I add this? Becase a new
friend of the page, Larry White, sent on an interview he did with Don
Pyle back in December '93. Great interview: definitely check it out.
- Finally added an entry for Neko Case & The Boyfriends' The
Virginian to the Guest Appearances
page. Brian plays guitar in the band.
January 9, 2000
- Added a little better scan of Clam Chowder & Ice vs. Big
Macs & Bombers on the Compilations page. Instead of a
grainy scan made on my old hand-held scanner, there's now a very nice
scan of a picture that's a bit too dark on the bottom. Oh well, at
least you can see the details a little better now.
January 5, 2000
- Don Vigeant sent on a scan of an alternate sleeve for
Love Without Words. A scan of that cover (along with a rear
scan) is on the Singles page. Thanks
December 17, 1999
- Added a Pre-Shadowy Men page to
cover stuff that happened before the band formed. OK, "stuff" is a
little much: I know of one single, and the details are there.
- Re-did the scans of the Music For Pets and Dog And
Squeegie. They look a bit better now.
December 16, 1999
- Added scans of the Schlagers! game and the iron-on that
came with Wow Flutter Hiss '86. See the Singles page for the new stuff.
December 9, 1999
- Don Vigeant sent on scans of his autographed CD sleeves.
They're very cool. See the Etc page.
- Found a copy of the Adventures In Music sampler on eBay, so the Compilations page has been updated.
From seeing the CD, I realize that I had two listings on there for
the same CD! I found the track listings for both on CDDB (now Gracenote). One
listed the CD title as Adventures In Music Sampler, and the
other listed it as Alternative Graffiti. The back of the CD
lists the names of the albums that each track comes from, not the
song title. One entry on CDDB listed it by the songs, the other by
the albums. I didn't notice, because the track in question, "Aunt's
Invasion", comes from Dim The Lights, Chill The Ham, so I
assumed the "other" sampler had the song "Dim The Lights, Chill The
Ham" on it. Confused? I was.
November 30, 1999
- Got MUCH better scans for Love Without Words and
Explosion Of Taste from Don Vigeant (another new friend of the
new page). Thanks Don!
November 19, 1999
- Added a new page, "Etc". Sal Cincotta
(a new friend of the page) sent on some cool flyers from early on.
Thanks Sal! I scanned those along with my old mail-order catalogs and
a matchbook and made a page of non-record stuff. It's neat, go check
November 15, 1999
- Found a better scan of the cover of A Canadian Alternative
November 2, 1999
- Added details on Juno Collection 1992. Thanks Serg!
September 29, 1999
- First new tabs in over two years! Thanks Nathaniel! Go to
the Phono-Comb Tabs Page to see.
- Signed up for the Cowabunga Instrumental Surf Web Ring.
September 3, 1999
- Added details on a few more compilations. Some from CDDB, and one
(with cover art!) from Serg. Thanks Serg!
August 16, 1999
- Just received copies of The Estrus Lunch Bucket and
Certain Damage! Volume 38, so I've updated those entries.
Serg: Many thanks!
- Oh yeah, and I changed the lame "don't have cover art" graphic to
a brand-new, but still lame, graphic.
August 7, 1999
- Oh my. The biggest update I've had in the 4 or so years the page
has been up. The soundtrack album I've been hoping exists, indeed
does. Thanks to a new friend, Serg, I've got the cover scan to prove
it! Now, if I can just find a copy! Click here to see the
August 1, 1999
June 21, 1999
- Added a link to the Kids In The Hall Audio Archive (http://www.kithaa.com). Cool page, go check it out. (UPDATE: Don't bother. It's gone now.)
June 8, 1999
- Left the The Sounds Of Canada web ring. I never got added and
mail to the admin bounced.
- Updated the FAQ.
May 25, 1999
- Signed up for the The Sounds Of Canada web ring.
- Added links to two Coyote Shivers pages. Coyote co-produced the
first two S Men albums.
May 19, 1999
- Got better scans of the 45 covers.
May 11, 1999
- Added a guitar tab for "Having An Average Weekend". Thanks
- Added an animated GIF version of the little cartoon guys at all
the "Back to Main Page" links.
April 29, 1999
- Corrected the info for the Just Married. Thanks Ben!
March 17, 1999
- Got a better scan for Sport Fishin' Accessories, taken
directly from my very own copy!. Thanks Steve!
March 14, 1999
- Got better scans for Savvy Show Stoppers and Sport
March 5, 1999
- Got a better scan of the cover of Dim The Lights, Chill The
January 27, 1999
November 20, 1998
- Added info on vinyl bonus tracks for Dim The Lights.
- Added entries for the Tee Vee Tunes CDs, The Estrus Lunch
Bucket, the "CMJ" and the Adventures In Music
- Added graphics for It Came From Canada 2, The Estrus
Lunch Bucket and the Tee Vee Tunes CDs. Thanks Ben!
November 11, 1998
- Updated It Came From Canada 2 info. Thanks Ben!
- Added information for Star Power! and A Canadian
November 4, 1998
- Added graphics for Brave New Waves. Thanks Mike!
October 21, 1998
- Added songwriting credits for "The Twelve Answering Machine
Messages of Christmas".
October 14, 1998
- Corrected the listings for "Aunt's Invasion". Turns out the
version on Dim The Lights came after the one on Beautiful
Happiness. Thanks Adam!
- Did a little cleanup on the Compilations page.
August 12, 1998
- Added details and a graphic for Beautiful Happiness.
August 30, 1998
- Added graphics for Sport Fishin' Accessories and It
Came From Canada 4. More thanks, Ben!
July 16, 1998
- Updated details on track listing for It Came From Canada
4. Thanks again, Ben!
May 15, 1998
- Corrected track listing for It Came From Canada 4. Thanks
December 19, 1997
- Added the cover graphic for The Time Machine.
- Added this "What's New?" page.
December 18, 1997
- Added the Tom Kendall's guitar tab for "Customized". Thanks